Getting started for Duckietown instructors
The Duckietown platform contains everything you need to teach an undergraduate or graduate level class on AI and robotics; from the off-the-shelf hardware plans, open source software, to the weekly lecture materials.
The materials can be used in two ways:
- Class materials – you use the platform and associated education materials to teach a class on robot autonomy.
- As an experimental platform – where the hardware and software are used as the laboratory component of another class.
Development of the “class-in-a-box”
What the “class-in-a-box” will include:
- Slides, lecture videos (for inspiration or flipped classroom), Python notebooks.
- Lecture notes;
- Robot-centered activities and demos;
- An instructor’s guide;
About the community
If you bring Duckietown to your institution, your students will be joining a fun, global community, which includes worldwide collaboration and competition!
Research using Duckietown
We designed Duckietown to be a modular, inexpensive research platform for studying autonomy in complex systems. Think of it as an “experimental simulator”.
We provide a baseline implementation for you to be able to rapidly and easily test your algorithms on real physical hardware.
- Convenience: You can only change the part that interests you and use the rest of the baselines to have a fully functional system.
- Reproducibility: Your research has a high impact since it uses a standard platform that others can easily replicate. For maximum impact, compete in an AI Driving Olympics (AI-DO).
Tools for research
- Imitation learning template
- Reinforcement learning template
- Database of Duckiebot driving logs
- Duckiebot driving simulator
- Modularized code (ROS baseline template)
- Low cost, standardized robots and smart city environment
- An international embodied AI competition: the Artificial Intelligence Driving Olympics (AI-DO)
Learn autonomy with Duckietown
You are a makademic if you want to learn and build on your own, outside of an educational institution, and also want a deep understanding of how things are working.
We provide a unique hands-on learning experience suitable for Makademics, and an international community to bounce off ideas with.
All the materials are available at minimal cost. We can help you get a kit.
- If you are a university student, the best case is to find an instructor at your institution who will teach the course.
- Take a look at all the learning resources we have as well as our Duckiebook
- Here’s the quick start and webinars
- Get the hardware
- Need help? File a github issue or join the slack community